SHERIFF SECURITY OFFICER
$15.15-$19.88 per hour, plus benefits
5:00 p.m., December 31, 2018
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The major duties of the job include: The Sheriff Security Officer is designated as a uniformed, non-peace officer assigned to provide security in and around Lassen County Court, Lassen County Jail and other government facilities. The Sheriff Security Officer is a public officer as defined in section 831.4 of the California Penal Code.
• Works at a fixed post, or tours inner/outer perimeter of the Court, Jail, and other governmental facilities to detect or prevent individuals or groups from committing acts which are injurious to others or to property within or around the Court, Jail, and other governmental facilities. May provide a uniformed presence in non-criminal courtrooms, such as Civil and Family Law Courts, and assist sworn and non-sworn Sheriff’s Security Personnel in courtrooms hearing criminal matters.
• Intervenes where appropriate to terminate injurious acts, conducts security screening of individuals for weapons, illegal devices, or contraband.
• Detains persons observed injuring others or damaging property, pending further investigation or arrest by sworn staff.
• Investigates questionable acts of behavior observed or reported on premises and, where appropriate, may question witnesses and suspects to ascertain or verify facts.
• Participates with sworn and non-sworn Sheriff’s Security Personnel in security Court, Jail, and other government facilities and conducting searches.
• Receives and sends information to and from other agencies and jurisdictions.
• Ensures that only authorized employees, vendors or other appropriately identified persons are permitted access to closed or restricted areas and may stop and question unidentified or unauthorized persons.
• Responds to reports of ill or injured visitors or employees and notifies supervisors or other appropriate personnel if additional assistance is necessary.
• Utilizes fixed and hand-held scanning devices to detect unauthorized weapons or devices.
• Monitors alarm systems, electronic surveillance equipment and responds to locally activated fire, panic or other alarms.
• Relays reports of bomb threats to sworn staff and participates in organized searches.
• Officers may be required to carry a firearm and other authorized safety equipment while in performance of assigned duties.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent GED certificate.
Experience: Public service and computer experience preferred.
Within one year from the date of hire, must possess a current 832 PC certification. Must be
departmentally certified in authorized safety equipment including but not limited to: lethal
and less lethal weapons, and mechanical restraints within one year of the date of hire. Must
have the ability to legally possess firearms.
License: Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license.
Application materials will be reviewed, and the best-qualified applicants will be invited to Susanville to
participate in interviews.
HOW TO APPLY
An application may be obtained from the Personnel Office listed below or by visiting our website at:
http://lassencounty.org. It is your responsibility to provide specific, accurate and complete information
describing how you meet the minimum qualifications. Qualified applicants are invited to submit an official
Lassen County application to:
Lassen County Personnel Department
221 South Roop Street
Susanville, California 96130 Opened: December 13, 2018
Lassen County is an equal opportunity employer hiring employment eligible applicants.
Disabled applicants who require special testing arrangements should contact the Personnel Department prior to the filing
In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act, applicants must provide acceptable proof of identity or
authorization to work in the United States.
A thorough background investigation will be conducted. The investigation may include reference checks, fingerprinting,
psychological and medical screenings, credit check, driver history and inquiry to local, state and federal files to obtain criminal
Lassen County requires pre-employment drug screening for safety sensitive positions. .
All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the
Selection processes may include, but are not limited to, one or more of the following: application review, competitive screening,
written examination, performance examination, and/or oral examination.
This bulletin is solely for the purpose of announcing a job opening. It does not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, and
any provisions contained herein may be modified or revised without notice.