LEAD SYSTEMS OPERATOR
El Camino Irrigation District
Full-time Seasonal Position
Days/Hours: Monday – Friday / 6:00am -2:30pm
SALARY RANGE: Minimum wage – $15.00 per hour
Depending on experience
Position reports to the District Manager or the Board of Directors. Under general direction of the District Manager or Board of Directors, is responsible for the distribution of irrigation water through the various distribution systems of the District. Prepares reports, timekeeping, water orders, recordkeeping, and meets emergency situations during the water delivery season.
Requires Knowledge Of:
• District policies, rules, regulations and procedures.
• Applicable safety precautions and procedures.
• Common public relations courtesies, practices and techniques.
• The principles of operation practices, equipment, and maintenance requirements used in irrigation distribution systems, pipelines, canals and drains.
• Principles of effective supervision and training.
Requires Ability To:
• Deal tactfully and courteously with the public.
• Read and write the English language.
• Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
• Keep accurate records of water flow and usage.
• Keep records in a manner that is appropriate for use by others, both within and outside the District, and conforms with Government and legal requirements.
• Diagnose failures in irrigation systems and pipe systems.
• Operate a vehicle observing legal and defensive driving techniques.
• Supervise, train and evaluate assigned staff.
• Organize, schedule and coordinate work.
• Work independently.
• Work nights, weekends, holidays and overtime as needed according to scheduling.
• Establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Initiate and maintain effective safety practices that relate to the nature of the work.
Training and Experience
Any combination of training, education and experience which demonstrates possession of the knowledge and abilities stated above and the ability to perform the duties of the position. A typical qualifying entrance background is a minimum of one year (water season) of experience in the distribution of irrigation water to water users and graduation from high school or equivalent.
Licenses and Certification
Possession of a valid and appropriate California Driver License with a satisfactory driving record to maintain affordable insurability under the District’s policy.
Carrying: Transports objects by holding them in hands or arms.
Stooping: Bends body downward and forward by bending at waist or knees.
Standing: Stands for up to 8 hours per day.
Lifting: Raises (above head) or lowers (below knees) assorted mechanical devices and objects up to 60 pounds.
Reaching: Extends hands and arms in any direction.
Sitting: May remain in a seated position for up to 8 hours per day. Rides in District vehicles over varied terrain.
Climbing: In and out of equipment, trenches and pipelines; ascends and descends ladders up to 25 feet. Ascends and descends slopes.
Hearing: Hears well enough to receive communication in person, by radio and by telephone, as well as for safety in and around construction sites. May work in conditions with intermittent noise.
Talking: Expresses ideas and shares information by means of spoken word in person, by radio and by telephone.
Hands/Arms: Operates vehicles and hand tools. Seizes, holds or works with hands.
Vision: Reads written messages; operates vehicles and equipment.
Walking: Moves about on foot, often through uneven terrain.
Environment: Works in conditions with intermittent noise and works outside with variations of temperature, wetness and weather.
Reasonable accommodations will be considered.
Must pass a physical examination, which includes substance screening, before employment with the District.
Work does not ordinarily involve confidential information.
This position receives general supervision from the District Manager or Board of Directors and provides direct supervision of the following:
• Irrigation System Maintenance Worker
• Relief Systems Irrigation Operator
How to Apply: Email a resume and standard application to email@example.com