Job Description: Human Resources Manager
Purpose: To oversee and implement all human resource activities at QNFC; to provide resources,
training and expertise to the General Manager (GM) and management team with respect to personnel
issues, policies and practices; and to support the GM’s efforts in meeting the Co-op’s goals and
Pay Rate Level: VI
Status: PT/FT, Administrative, Non-exempt
Reports to: General Manager
1. Understand, support, and reinforce:
Quincy Natural Foods Co-op’s Mission, Vision, and Principles
Quincy Natural Foods Co-op’s product standards
Quincy Natural Foods Co-op’s customer service standards
Workplace positivity and accountability.
2. Act as a model for all employees, abiding by all co-op policies and procedures outlined in the
Employee Manual and other guidelines.
3. Demonstrate cooperation and professionalism, ensuring the integrity of Quincy Natural
Foods Co-op’s values, principles, and standards in decision making and interactions with
4. Ensure professional and friendly service is provided by Co-op employees.
5. Act as Manager on Duty as needed, providing policy reminders, safety instruction, workplace
oversight and general support to staff.
6. Actively participate in the Quincy Natural Foods Co-op’s management team and work
together to achieve team goals and provide support to the General Manager.
7. Consistently attend management team, department, and all staff meetings.
8. Follow procedures in the case of emergencies (such as fire, power outages, and evacuations),
injuries and workplace violence, and non-emergency situations such as shoplifting and
9. Comply with the requirements of QNF’s Illness & Injury Prevention Program and address
employee concerns and questions related to the IIPP.
Human Resources Responsibilities
1. Participate in the overall leadership and management of the Co-op as a member of the senior
2. Plan and execute aligned strategies for meeting management objectives.
3. Assist with developing, updating and overseeing the implementation of policies, procedures
and programs that support the Co-op strategic plan.
4. Ensure the review and implementation of the Co-op’s annual wage scale.
5. Maintain current knowledge of legislation effecting employment and ensure compliance.
Employee Relations and Performance Management
1. Develop and administer equitable, legal, cost effective personnel and workplace policies.
2. Ensure that the Employee Handbook is updated regularly.
3. Monitor application of policies for equity throughout all departments.
4. Ensure communication of policies and procedures to staff.
5. Provide support and guidance to supervisors in the areas of performance management and
6. Develop evaluation program and provide support to supervisors to ensure timely evaluations.
Recruiting, Hiring, Training and Development
1. Develop and maintain accurate and updated job descriptions and specifications.
2. Develop procedures to recruit, interview and hire diverse, qualified candidates.
3. Coordinate the development and implementation of a comprehensive orientation, training and
development program for employees.
4. Assist hiring managers with developing and implementing new-hire and ongoing training
programs, procedures and materials.
5. Research and recommend outside training and development opportunities to team leaders.
6. Ensure that up-to-date succession plans are in place for key management positions.
Recordkeeping, Payroll and Benefits Administration
1. Maintain all personnel files in accordance with state and federal law.
2. Ensure that current employee information is up-to-date.
3. Administer employee benefits and ensure that available benefits are communicated to
4. Provide all payroll changes and updates to the finance department for payroll processing.
5. Administer workers compensation insurance.
6. Administer employee leaves of absence, disability insurance, and unemployment insurance
7. Ensure reports and paperwork are completed and submitted in a timely manner for all federal
and state compliance requirements.
8. Maintain HR statistics and report to GM.
1. Implement and maintain the Co-op’s Injury and Illness Prevention Plan as IIPP Administrator.
2. Maintain accident reports and follow up as needed to ensure workplace safety.
3. Ensure that all employees receive adequate safety training.
1. Maintain complete confidentiality with regard to employee-related matters.
2. Provide employee anniversary recognition (gift cards or bonus check information) to payroll.
3. Distribute employee birthday cards.
4. Ensure that all harassment claims, grievances, and complaints are addressed in accordance with
5. Other duties as assigned.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES:
Post secondary education in a Human Resources related field and/or at least 3 years related
Broad knowledge of and experience in employment law; compensation and benefits programs;
organizational planning and development; employee relations and performance management; safety;
and training and development.
Strong business acumen and ability to make positive contributions to organizational planning and
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Demonstrated interpersonal, coaching, and conflict resolution skills to support organizational goals.
Demonstrated high level of confidentiality, tact, and integrity.
Ability to maintain positive, supportive relationships with Co-op managers and staff.
Ability to organize time effectively and prioritize and plan activities with a daily and longer-term
perspective, ensuring that the HR department is in compliance at all times.
Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment, including Word and Excel.
Occasional job related travel for required training, meetings, and/or events.
Office environment is relatively quiet: occasional noise due to meetings, visitors, etc.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Bending, sitting, reaching
Extended periods of work in a seated position
Intermittent use of computer keyboard and mouse for up to four hours/day
Using hands or fingers to handle or feel
Unimpaired eyesight and hearing ability
Ability to lift up to 20 lbs.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, requirements, and conditions
listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that the employee may be required to
perform. The employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and require employees to perform
other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations or a work environment change.