CORRECTIONAL DEPUTY I/II
(FEMALES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY)
SALARY AND BENEFITS
I: $17.14 – $22.57 per hour, plus benefits
II: $18.78- $24.77 per hour, plus benefits
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Correctional Deputy, under supervision of the Jail Commander and other supervisors, will admit, release,
guard and supervise prisoners in the Lassen County Adult Detention Facility. The major duties of the job
• Receive, book, fingerprint, photograph and assign prisoners to cells.
• Maintain security watch of inmates at all times.
• Monitor activities of inmates by operating surveillance, control and communications console equipment.
• Prepares required records pertaining to commitment.
• Receives and records personal property taken into custody.
• Prepares records and reports and fill in forms for release or transfer of inmates.
• Perform inspection of the facility when required.
• Appear in court when under subpoena.
• Provide communication support for emergency service units responding to the facility.
• Supervise inmate workers in performance of routine custodial work.
• Transports arrestees and inmates to and from various locations.
• Assists in suppressing and controlling problems that occur.
• Answers inquiries from the public and family members
• Perform related duties as assigned.
Education: Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade.
Special Requirements: Must be at least eighteen years of age at the time of application; must be a United States
citizen; must be in good mental and physical health as determined by a physical examination;
vision not less than 20/70 each eye, uncorrected; hearing normal; weight proportionate to height;
no felony convictions; must be physically capable of overcoming resistance of inmates when
necessary; must be of good moral character as determined by a background investigation.
Women are encouraged to apply.
License: Possession of or ability to obtain a valid California driver’s license.
Correctional Deputy II: The Correctional Deputy II will perform as trainers and mentors for the entry level
Deputy I positions. Members in this classification must have successfully met all of the requirements for a
Correctional Deputy I, and have at least three years’ experience as, or equivalent to a Correctional Deputy I
with Lassen County
Application materials will be reviewed, and the best-qualified applicants will be invited to Susanville to
participate in an entry-level written examination once a sufficient amount of applications have been received.
HOW TO APPLY
An application may be obtained from the Personnel Office listed below or by visiting our website at
http://lassencounty.org in the Personnel/Risk Management area, in the Resources tab. It is your responsibility to provide
specific, accurate and complete information describing how you meet the minimum qualifications. Qualified
applicants are invited to submit a required Lassen County application to:
Lassen County Personnel Department (530) 251-8320
221 South Roop Street
Susanville, California 96130 Revised August 2017
Lassen County is an equal opportunity employer hiring employment eligible applicants.
Disabled applicants who require special testing arrangements should contact the Personnel
Department prior to the filing deadline.
In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act, applicants must provide
acceptable proof of identity or authorization to work in the United States.
A thorough background investigation will be conducted prior to employment. The
investigation may include reference checks, fingerprinting, credit check, driver history
and inquiry to local, state and federal files to obtain criminal history information.
Lassen County requires a pre-employment physical, which includes drug screening.
All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through
any subsequent phase of the selection process.
Selection processes may include, but are not limited to, one or more of the following:
application review, competitive screening, written examination, performance examination,
and/or oral examination.
This bulletin is solely for the purpose of announcing a job opening. It does not
constitute a contract, expressed or implied, and any provisions contained herein may be
modified or revised without notice. EOE