ASSISTANT DISTRICT ATTORNEY IV/V
SALARY AND BENEFITS
IV: $38.72 – $46.82 hourly, plus benefits
V: $42.57 – $51.50 hourly, plus benefits
Open until filled. (Continuous Recruitment)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Assistant District Attorney receives general direction from the District Attorney. Exercises direct supervision over assigned clerical, technical and professional personnel. Assists the District Attorney in planning, organizing, directing and coordinating the activities of the District Attorney’s office including criminal cases and administration; coordinating District Attorney’s office activities with other agencies and county departments; providing highly complex staff assistance to the District Attorney. Acts on behalf of the District Attorney during absences to the extent permissible by law, statute, and/or code.
The major duties of the job include but are not limited to the following:
• Assist in the development and implementation of departmental goals, objectives, policies and procedures.
• Manage, direct and organize legal activities including jury and court criminal trials.
• Direct, oversee and participate in the development of the District Attorney work plan; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures.
• Participate in recommending the appointment of personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline procedures; recommend employee terminations.
• Act as principal trial attorney on assigned criminal cases.
• Work in cooperation with County, State and Federal officials on law enforcement matters.
• Review alleged crimes and determine the nature of crime and type of court case.
• Respond to public inquiries concerning criminal matters and related items.
Education: A Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
License: Active membership in the California State Bar Association.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license.
Experience: IV- A minimum of two years of criminal prosecution and trial experience as a Deputy District Attorney III or its equivalent, which demonstrates possession of and competency in requisite knowledge and abilities, and recommendation of the District Attorney. Five years’ experience in the general practice of law may be substituted for three years of criminal law experience. V- A minimum of two years’ experience of criminal prosecution and trial experience as an Assistant District Attorney IV and recommendation of the District Attorney.
A screening committee will review application materials, and the best-qualified applicants will be invited to Susanville to participate in interviews.
HOW TO APPLY
It is your responsibility to provide specific, accurate and complete information describing how you meet the minimum qualifications. An application can be obtained from the Personnel Office listed below or by visiting our website at http://lassencounty.org. Qualified applicants are invited to submit an official Lassen County application plus resume, references and writing sample to:
Lassen County Personnel Department (530) 251-8320
221 South Roop Street
Susanville, California 96130 Opened: June 19, 2019
Lassen County is an equal opportunity employer hiring employment eligible applicants.
Disabled applicants who require special testing arrangements should contact the Personnel Department prior to the filing deadline.
In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act, applicants must provide acceptable proof of identity or authorization to
work in the United States.
A thorough background investigation will be conducted post-conditional offer of employment. The investigation may include
reference checks, fingerprinting, credit check, driver history and inquiry to local, state and federal files to obtain criminal history
All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the selection
Selection processes may include, but are not limited to, one or more of the following: application review, competitive screening,
written examination, performance examination, and/or oral examination.
This bulletin is solely for the purpose of announcing a job opening. It does not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, and any
provisions contained herein may be modified or revised without notice.